Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tired and in pain

Rob went up early and I watched Saturday Night Live - it was ok. Had a wonderful night of sleep and slept in once again. Rob and Ellie went to church this morning while Nick and I hung out in our pajamas. When Rob and Ellie got home we got dressed and the kids played outside for a bit. We had lunch before getting ready for the church bike a thon - the kids were very excited.
We headed off to Glenview and the kids registered and got their numbers. Rob walked along with Nick as he rode and Ellie just cruised by herself. I got to visit with a number of friends during the bike a thon. Ellie ended up riding 7 miles and Nick 2.5 miles - we are proud of both of them. They went and had their ice cream treat while Rob and I talked to some more friends. We eventually got moving home - it had been a long day and the sun was very hidden in the clouds and it was getting cold. We stopped by our house to pick up some things and stopped by Baskin Robbins for an ice cream cake for Rob's birthday.
We got to Mom's and the house smelled good - Rob had requested ribs, corn pudding and salad for his dinner - Mom added smashed cauliflower, mashed potatoes, apple sauce, honeydew and baked beans to the menu. Nick had close to 4 servings of corn pudding and I enjoyed the mashed potatoes. I think we were all stuffed before dessert came out but that didn't stop anyone. Mint chip chocolate cake roll and homemade donuts - yum.
I bought all my supplies for Mom and I to change out by bag - so Mom and I went to do that. I have been having pain the past couple days and just thought it was normal but when I peeled away the wafer it was apparent there was nothing normal happening. From 3 to 9 o'clock (the entire bottom under my stoma) is red and almost blistered in appearance - it hurt to touch it. We had no choice other than to apply a new wafer but I really wasn't looking forward to it. I promised Mom I would put a call into Jen about it - which I did as soon as we got home. I don't know if I am allergic to the adhesive or the wax barrier or if it is just irritated but it is definitely not happy. I did a bit of googling and it doesn't look like there is a quick heal or solution to this - a lot of people talk about trial and error in trying different products from different vendors. Mom also noticed one of my incision areas was lumpy - so she put a tight band-aid on it.
I was feeling so good about my recovery but right now I am un-happy and in pain. I finally gave in to advil - the first time in over a week. Tomorrow is another day and I will hopefully have some answers and an easier time moving about. Visualising my healthy body, my continued healthy recovery (fingers crossed) and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

2 comments:

  1. I was so impressed to see you out and about today - almost forgot you aren't too far out from your surgery. I hope you don't forget it either! Taking Advil, feeling tired and getting frustrated with some slow healing all sound pretty reasonable considering you've only been home for 1 week. You've covered a lot of ground this past week, all things considered, but give yourself a break. You're doing great! As for the blistering - I wonder if some calendula ointment or cream might be helpful. If you don't have it you can buy it at Walgreens (I think), otherwise Walsh's for sure. Great stuff to have for open cuts, burns, etc. Hope you get some relief soon. Now go grab a nice glass of wine, watch some TV and relax.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll figure this out...maybe we do go to soft paper towels, warm water and the blow dryer. Hopefully Jen will have some good ideas right off the top of her head tomorrow. You've been healing really well...this is just a fluke that will have a solution! Sleep well. Tomorrow will bring answers and new ideas to try. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete