Friday, September 17, 2010

And the Winners Are...Determination and Perseverance

It looks like my days as guest blogger are numbered...OK, I will no longer be required after this weekend. Your original storyteller, Theresa, should be coming home Sunday. I know she'll have a lot to say! Yes, you did read correctly. She should be walking out of Evanston Hospital on Sunday. Over the years, I have watched what Theresa has pulled off through shear determination, focus and perseverance. I like to think she has a little of my genetic legacy that makes us really fight hard when someone tells us we can't do something. There has always been a little pride and a great big cheer when she has shown a teacher, colleague, doctor, employer her na-na-na-na-na-na attitude. Well, she can add one more mountain to her conquered list. Theresa made up her mind last night that she would not have the PICC line inserted today. Her tummy was growling and she was producing all of the sounds and noises that are usually required. Why couldn't she just start this morning with one thing added to her tea regime? Then maybe slowly add one more thing at lunch. See if indeed maybe she had an ileus that resolved itself, and she would now be able to keep food down. The Resident on rounds this morning agreed. If her plan worked, no PICC. So a popsicle with tea at breakfast stayed down. 2 servings of Ensure and tea stayed down for lunch. Looking good! Theresa and I had an appointment for our final training with her ostomy nurse, Jennifer, at 4:00. It was a good session. Her body is doing everything it's supposed to be doing...what they've been waiting and hoping it would do! So, as I sit here typing, I am feeling really proud of Theresa for acting on her feelings, and I do have a little smile on my face. Jo and Tony had come up to the hospital with me to visit with Tree after our training, but everything was cut short to let something wonderful happen. Theresa's BFF nurse in oncology, Margaret, managed to get an acupuncture treatment scheduled for Tree in her room. Molly began to work her healing magic after we left. Theresa called after her treatment and said Molly had done wonders. She even showed Theresa a pressure point for nausea that she can do herself. It was so good to hear Theresa so relaxed and calm. She was gearing up for movie night! My friend Jamee (the one who always makes me feel at ease and a little more sane), sent an edible fruit creation for all of us today. It was lovely and yummy! Rob stopped to load a container with fruit kabobs for movie watching snacks. The kids were very excited about their fruit-on-a-stick snacks. They were very excited about going to spend time together with Mommy. Theresa had ordered them popsicles as well. Rob said it was wonderful. Theresa said it was wonderful. Both kids ended up climbing up into bed with her. Great way to end a great day! Theresa called me to say that she had some oatmeal and tea for dinner. Wasn't terribly hungry, but it did stay with her! One of the Residents I really like came in to tell her that she thought Theresa should add more solids tomorrow and if that goes well, Sunday is looking good for going home! She was really tired, thank you Molly, and was hoping that they'd bring in her meds a little early so she could close her eyes and go to sleep!

That's it for me for tonight. It's been a really long week. I feel confident that I know how to be of help to Theresa when she goes home. She's lost a good deal of weight and Jen said that ostomy patients typically lose about 15 additional pounds. So I've been doing my research looking for recipes I can make that will stay with her requirements, but will maybe keep her weight a little more constant. Edible would be good, too! It's one of the things I think I do well and I'm glad we're close enough that I can help her out. She is a dynamo, superwoman, but she remains my little girl. In closing, please join me in visualizing Theresa's healthy body, continued recovery, good digestion, and a happy new, normal Theresa, whoever that might be. Keep those good, positive thoughts coming....they're working! Thanks, Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment