Monday, September 13, 2010

She's Got the 4th Day Hospital Blues

Hello again. No apologies...I'm doing this as long as I have to. I went to bed last night with a very heavy heart. Theresa is in the hospital and I trust that day by day she is improving and feeling stronger. Yesterday was a big set back for Tree. I had an appointment this morning with Theresa's ostomy nurse, Jennifer. I was supposed to go and learn the ropes to help Tree out. After having a very heartfelt conversation with my dear friend Jamee (I always feel very at ease and somehow more sane after our chats), I headed over to the hospital. Theresa was in the bathroom giving herself a little sponge bath and brushing her teeth. Good sign, I think. I watched her settle into her recliner. Instant all over leg and body shakes. Hmmmm. The nurse brought her a heated blanket, I rubbed her shoulders and her body calmed. She stopped vomiting at about 1:00 am, they changed her pain medication to Toradol, and replaced the catheter. We opened the room shades and I noticed that her color really was very good. She actually smiled at a few of my attempts at humor. We uncluttered her tray; it was too full for her. I noticed she seemed very tired. After a day and night like yesterday, I get it. Her clear liquid diet was restored, but she doesn't want a repeat of the flavors she's been throwing up...we've all been there. There's a reason I don't drink Chardonnay anymore! She told me that the new medication was OK, and she still had the ability to pump the old Dilaudid if she really needed it. Jennifer came in at 11:30 and she felt so very bad that Theresa had her weekend set back. She too had hoped that Tree would just have a breeze through post op, but these things do happen. We chatted for a bit and Jennifer told Tree we didn't have to do this today if she didn't want to...Theresa agreed and feel asleep. Jennifer and I quietly chatted at length about our Alma mater, St. Scholastica. She was a year ahead of me. I really like Jennifer. She has an easy smile and a great demeanor. She has the personality that will get Tree through the nitty gritty mechanics of this dreaded ostomy stuff...me, too. Very easy going, low key, I think she will be very helpful to Tree. I gently awakened Tree to tell her I was going to go so she could get some decent sleep, we kissed goodbye and I was off. Not quite. Another friend, Pat, one of the Millies, had an appointment at the hospital and had stopped by to see Theresa. Tree acknowledged her, but fell back to sleep. So Pat and I went to a sitting area and chatted over some iced tea. My friends are protecting my sanity! We talked until it was time for her appointment and then I came home. I talked to Rob...things seem to be going OK on the home front. He said he planned to take the kids over to see Tree after homework. I suggested that he take a Starbucks iced green tea for Tree. It's a long time favorite. He called me after the very brief visit. Tree didn't want the tea, was in bed and very tired. Hmmmm. He had dinner planned in his head so I know they were going to be fine tonight. It was my girl that I was concerned about. Was the new drug too good, or was she just blue? I say just blue...she has every reason to be big time blue. Jo called her after work and she was quick with Jo. I called her and she told me that she is fully off the Dilaudid. She had pumped it this afternoon and promptly threw up. She was feeling nauseated and I told her I'd call her back. So now I'm thinking that in combination with all of the crazy stuff that happened to her this weekend, Theresa is down. I think it must feel a little like incarceration for her right now. The only thing she really has control over is sleep. So, I called back and she was a little lighter in tone. I told her I'd pick up some of this powdered shampoo I read about...she wasn't thrilled. We agreed that maybe she'll let me help her wash her hair tomorrow. When I'm sick, that 1st shower and shampoo always make me feel like a million bucks! So, that's my morning goal. She told me that Uncle Bill had stopped by for a visit, I'm not sure how receptive she was. Kate stopped in before she started her shift at 2:00 and just felt she was tired. So here's hoping that a good night's rest will make all the difference for Theresa. I have a few things to take tomorrow that I hope will ease some of the boredom. I have some aromatherapy shampoo to try. Other than that, I'm out of tricks. I'm going to put on my happy mommy face and go in there in the morning and make some serious attempts at making my girl happier.

In closing, please join me in visualizing Theresa's healthy body, her safe and complete recovery, and a HAPPY new normal Theresa whoever that may be. Thanks! Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment