Sunday, March 13, 2011

Road trip Sunday

I was up way too late again last night - with the time change it was 3:45AM when I went up to bed. The kids were up super early - I guess it was close to their regular time but it was only about 4 hours into my sleep. Rob took the kids down and I stayed in bed until 9:00. I woke up and had a bowl of coffee and some waffles and read the newspaper with Rob. Rob brought my laundry bins up for me to sort and put away - 2 bins, about 6 loads of laundry to put away.
Mom and Dad, Jo and Tony picked us up for our annual trip to the Milwaukee domes (sort of like botanic gardens) for the train show. The bonus was it was also Irish Fest today. We were all decked out in our green shirts and goods. It was a pretty uneventful trip up to the domes - we watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
When we got to the domes, as soon as we walked into the train dome Nick broke out into dancing. The train dome had an Irish duo singing and playing today and the music moved Nick. We got about half way through the dome before it was announced that the dancers were preforming in the lobby. We went to watch the dancers and I though Nick would be dancing right along with them instead he took it all in. When we went back into the dome, hands firmly to his sides, Nick broke out into his version of a jig. He actually was filmed for one of the Milwaukee news broadcasts. He did finally break into a half jig half break dancing move - I believe he entertained the masses today.
Tony was happy sitting by the fence and running his legs through the wood chips. Ellie was busy taking pictures with Dad's camera. We walked through the dessert and the tropical domes - stopping at the 'Ponyo' pond to make a penny wish. By the end of the third dome Nick was running ahead to benches and lying down. We let the kid do a few of the crafts at the craft table and then we left.
We went to Cracker Barrel for Lunch/dinner - something for everyone there. Jo bought the kids ginormous lollipops - the snack that keeps on giving. We made a quick stop at the outlet mall for Jo to run into a store. There was a line to get into the Coach store - probably about 30 people deep - and people say the economy is in trouble. We had Culver's custard for a dessert treat - my first frozen treat in months. I had my custard with hot fudge to warm it up a bit.
We got dropped off at home and I was pooped - I took a nap. Rob watched the kids for a bit and then it was time to get ready for bed. The kids pretty much were pooped too because it took only about 8 minutes for both of them to be asleep. I came down and made a pot of tea and Rob and I watched crappy tv because our normal tv was reruns. Busy upcoming week with Ellie's birthday and a doctor visit - a couple parties next weekend.
Something I need to vent about now...it has been bugging me for a while now. This gets filed under the, wow the stupid things people say to people with cancer files. I have been told I must not have had a "difficult" battle with cancer because I didn't lose my hair. I have been told I had it "easy" because chemo didn't cause me to vomit each day. I had cancer, my life has been drastically changed in the last 10 months. I have 3 tattoos that I didn't have previously, I went through 6 weeks of daily radiation therapy, I have collectively had more weeks that i have undergone chemo than not in the last 10 months. I have 6 abdominal incisions, an ileostomy, a port catheter with 2 incisions that will show for the rest of my life when I wear a v-neck shirt. I have had 2 surgeries and will still need two to close those chapters i this book. I have been to more doctor visits in the last 10 months than i was to my entire lifetime. So, no, I didn't lose my hair and I didn't become violently ill but guess what - I had cancer and maybe I need to sell some t-shirt designs to cafepress.com. Done venting, for now - until someone else says something stupid to me.
I am feeling better with each day - I can't believe it has not even been 2 weeks since the final infusion. My hands are pretty good, no longer peeling. My feet are still quasi-neuropathy-ville - still actively peeling and sensitive. Ironically, my mouth has been pretty good and I haven't needed to try the magic mouthwash. I have noticed that my area around my eyes is different - it appears I have lost my under eyelashes and the top ones have turned blonde. I don't look like the old me in recent pictures - it is definitely my eyes that don't look right. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for helping to make today a great day. Glad you vented. People just don't realize how things have been for you because your drug and radiation combo had different side effects for you and it just doesn't appear severe to the outside world. The important thing is that you are finished with the toxins! People just don't know what to say sometimes, be it chemo, cancer, death, divorce, illness...they just don't realize that less is usually best. Just think back to pregnancy...was there a woman who crossed your path that didn't feel they needed to share the graphic details of their experience? As for your beautiful blue eyes... they haven't changed. They are still the windows to your beautiful heart and soul. The eyelashes you can touch up with some mascara...you may just have blonde eyelashes now! I think you'll see that once the toxins have left the building, your rosy cheeks will be back and your eyes will look fine. Remember, we have an extra hour of daylight now...a little extra time for fresh air, sun and convalescence! You're so close to the finish line! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete