Monday, November 15, 2010

Manic Monday

Well...Rob went up a bit after 10 last night and not too soon after Nick was fiercely crying. I waited to hear footsteps but didn't so I turned off the tv and went upstairs. Nick was still in his room sobbing - apparently, he had a bad dream but I am still not sure. He crawled back into bed and I covered him up and started to sing to him and he broke out in tears again. I took him into our bed and crawled in next to him - this was the unfortunate sleeping arrangement for the night. Nick tossed and turned all night - around midnight he complained about his feet and legs hurting and I thought his footie pjs might have been too tight so we swapped him out into sweats - made no difference. He was thirsty all night and his nose was making noise and then he started coughing. I sleep on the couch and have 24" of space and yet our bed was way too small last night. Ellie woke up around 6 (but we have told her not to go downstairs before 7) so she went back to bed but we were all up around 7.
I fixed Ellie's lunch and got Nick and Ellie breakfast. I had decided not to send Nick to preschool this morning- I don't want him to get another kids sick and I don't need him picking anything else up. We got Ellie dressed and off to the bus and I took a couple minutes to email GOTR to let them know how great Saturday was for both Ellie and me - I got this very touching email back - they may quote me in some of their material. Nick and I went to Mom's house with the goal of grocery shopping - our supplies were running pretty low. Nick played with Gramps train while Mom got ready and I looked up stupid stuff on Dad's iPad. The holiday train will be running on the yellow line on the Wednesday before Christmas - see not so productive internet perusing. We decided to try Lincolnwood Produce - neither of us had been there in a while and it was local versus going out to Mt. Prospect to Garden Fresh. Well, we did end up getting some produce there but much like Fresh Farms a bunch of the produce was too ripe. I asked Mom midway through the store if she was up to a Costco run and she was. We finished at Lincolnwood and went to Costco - it was still sample time which was a good thing. They re-arranged their refrigerated section which could cause some confusion if you were really looking for something in particular. I don't think I was particularly hungry when we went but so much looked extremely good - the chocolate chip muffins, the chocolate croissants, the mini quiche, the alfredo pizza, the asparagus cheese cannelloni...
I was able to pick up some vitamin C chewables and replenish our ibuprofen supply and a check out purchase of a new pair of slippers. We dropped my groceries off at my house and as I unloaded I noticed our across the street neighbor was stealing our leaf pile - that was a first - I guess she is using it as mulch cover for the winter but it was a bit odd. We went to Mom's and ate lunch before we had to head home to get Ellie. Mom loaded some gummy eyeballs and frog legs into Nick's pocket to go home with for him and Ellie. We came home and I took a couple minutes to rake out leaf pile out into the street a bit more and sweep all our stray leaves into the pile. We headed down to pick up Ellie and we came back and watched some tv.
I had bought apples at the produce market to make a big pot of applesauce for the week - so I started peeling and cutting while Ellie played downstairs and Nick played upstairs. Rob came home and the kids played for a bit longer before we all ended up downstairs. I set up our new wireless printer so Ellie can print from her laptop and Rob and I can too. I had to re-configure the area where our existing printer was so that the new one could fit and so could all the other junk we had in there - Success.
I started dinner - chicken , mashed potatoes, applesauce and raspberries and blackberries. Rob had picked up some whipped cream on his way home to top the steaming applesauce. Dinner was enjoyed by us all - it was a good fall meal. I figure they are comforting leftovers for this week. Rob set up Nick's bath but I took over to clean up the bathroom upstairs and put a new liner in the shower - Rob went down to play Just Dance on wii with Ellie. I got Nick out and Rob and I traded places but I only had a couple dances in me - my port becomes annoyed quickly still. Rob took Nick up for bed and Ellie and I had some much needed cuddle time on the couch. Ellie went up a bit later and I was able to get the printer software installed on Ellie and my laptops - woohoo.
Dancing with the Stars was good tonight - it will be interesting to see the results tomorrow night. Rob and I are hanging out on the couch and playing online - Rob installed the printer, too. I am nervous about tomorrow not about the infusion itself but about what side effects I might have and how they will truly make me feel. Will I be nauseous, will I feel cold, will I feel the needle stabbing me? I will happily take my ativan tonight and tomorrow morning as well as slather on my lidocaine. I was told to pack a lunch and I think I have some excellent choices. Rob has the day off tomorrow and he will watch Nick while my Mom comes with me. I was told I will be in a private room anywhere between 5-6 hours.
On a separate note - I got me explanation of benefits from our insurance company today for my ostomy supplies for the month of October - a whooping $700+ dollars. We very luckily have the best insurance ever and have not had to pay but a $50.00 co-pay for my anxiety ridden ER visit the day after diagnosis. I am just amazed at how much things cost - my port surgery was almost $8,000.00 and that didn't include the provider cost. I don't know how people manage without insurance - I am so grateful to District 219s choice in insurance carriers and coverage. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body, my pain-free and symptom free infusion tomorrow and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment