Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pump disconnected - woohoo

Chemo brain has set in and I am not feeling so great right now so this post will be a bit short tonight because I cannot remember the entire day and I am sitting with the garbage can next to me. Highlights from today -I took Nick to get his haircut - he looks so handsome. I was able to get a little shopping done while we were there - added bonus. We went over to Mom's house and Tony and Nick played during the morning and Mom put in Christmas Story for them to watch.
Mom helped me change Scarlett out before I went to Kellogg this afternoon. The disconnect went fine - I was not prepared for the neulasta shot but I figured with my white blood count only at 2.5 they were going to do something to boost it up. I asked some more questions - since I didn't get nauseous this time does that mean I'll be ok every time - no, the chemicals will build up in my body and I will process them differently every infusion. And, I could still get nauseous through the weekend - she predicted that Saturday and Sunday could be my bad days. Will I get this nasty shot every disconnect - probably because chemotherapy kills cells - good, bad - it has no target. The extreme cold sensitivity will apparently get worse as well. The neulasta can give me deep bone pain most likely in my legs and chest that can last a couple days. Oh the joys of chemotherapy. She did tell me to really keep up with my liquids because that just makes all the drugs leave my body quicker and to eat crackers or pretzels with each drink because they will soak up the extra acid in my stomach.
I went back to Mom's and was starting to feel tired and just sort of crappy so I got Nick ready to go - they had just started Polar Express so I promised we could watch it when we came home and Mom sent him home with popcorn. We came home and cuddled up on the couch and watched Polar Express until it was time to get Ellie off the bus. Ellie came in and went downstairs to play while Nick and I finished up the movie. We pulled out the sofa bed and put in another Christmas movie and Ellie made a fresh batch of popcorn and I tried to fall asleep - didn't work until Ellie and Nick both went downstairs to play. I got about 20 minutes in before my body hurt too much to stay in any position. Rob had come home and asked if I wanted him to pick up dinner and I said yes.
We had dinner together and then it was bath night and I took a quick shower to get rid of all the adhesive from the past couple days. I read Nick a couple books and Ellie and Rob worked on math and then it was time for bed. Ellie has been asking to snuggle for the past couple nights but because of the pump I wasn't comfortable so I promised tonight we would have a snuggle fest and we did while we watched Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Just as Ellie went up to bed my stomach started to not feel so good. I just took my ativan - which has an anti-nausea agent in it so hopefully that will help along with the mint tea. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body, the next few days being easy and not nausea ridden and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment