Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chemotherapy rescheduled

I stayed down on the couch until about 2 and then went up to bed. I heard Ellie get up early this morning and I got up shortly before the alarm went off but Nick remained asleep. I packed Ellie's lunch and switched loads of laundry before I heard the calls of Nick. I got us all dressed - picked out a big neckline for me so that Plum could be easily accessed. Nick is Star Student this week at preschool and today he had to bring in an information sheet with his favorites filled in. I got Ellie out to the bus and then we were on speed mode -I had to be at Kellogg for a 9AM appointment and Mom was coming over to take Nick to school for me.
Mom had called me before she left her house saying she had gotten an email from paypal and she didn't authorize the payment - I told her I would look into it while she came over. Mom pulled up and Nick was already sitting on the stairs waiting and got into his car seat. I told Mom I would work on her paypal issue while at Kellogg. I got my bags loaded and I was off and Mom and Nick were off. I made it to Kellogg just in time but had to wait for the phlebotomy nurse to give me my draw stickers to go up to see Deb - this took a long time. Deb finally came down and got me and got the stickers.
I wiped off my lidocaine and Deb got to work prepping Plum for the butterfly needle and coverings. Deb drew my blood and sent me on my way upstairs for my appointment with Margaret and Dr. Marsh. I filled them in an any side effects and symptoms I had from the last infusion - they both were surprised at my lack of symptoms and side effects. My one blood test was back and my white blood count had increase dramatically to 7.5 but we needed to wait on my platelet count. I was sent back downstairs to the treatment room to wait for the results. It took forever - I was able to read through 2 magazines and go and get a cup of hot cocoa before Deb came in to un-hook me and send me home. My platelet count was 80 and normal range is 150-400 - I needed it to be 100 to go through with the infusion today. Basically the risk is bleeding out - my blood platelets are too depleted right now and don't have the ability to clot. My potassium level was also too low and I am now the proud patient of a horse sized potassium pill that has very weird warnings - take with food, stand up for at least 30 minutes after taking it.
I got my prescriptions and was on my way home timed just right to meet Mom and Nick. Mom and Nick stopped by the grocery store after pick up to get dinner makings for tonight. We had lunch together and then Nick played play-doh for a while. Mom figured out her paypal issue while I was at Kellogg. We went on the couch and all cuddles up and Mom and I were able to doze off for a bit while Nick ate some donut holes and watched Olivia. We got our coats on to get Ellie off the bus and then we all played play-doh and we made some ornaments out of the play-doh - we will see how they turn out. Mom was nice and sewed a couple buttons back onto one of my new sweaters.
Mom and Ellie started peeling and cutting the apples for apple-cranberry sauce and Nick played with his trucks. Mom made dinner for us - chicken bake, apple-cranberry sauce and corn pudding - plus we had the spanikopita I had made from lunch. I tried to occupy the kids with art studio and wii - worked for a bit. Mom finished and I told her to take half home with her for dinner but she insisted it was just enough for us. Mom left and we had dinner - it was so nice and warm and a good combo together.
We took the kids up for their baths and Rob brought up the laundry baskets for me so I could begin putting away. I got all the laundry done and Rob started reading Nick a couple books. Ellie read a couple, too. I went and took my huge horse pill and then went and stood downstairs playing on the computer. Ellie came down and joined me and we waited to hear Rob's footsteps. I hung a strand of twinkle star lights int he back room and Rob found a extension cord and plugged them in - I feel so festive now. I am sort of happy that the infusion didn't happen today - I have a cold and I have some special happenings this weekend that I want to be well for - on the other hand next week I have Ellie's holiday concert. Visualising my healthy and continually recovering body, an increase in my platelets and potassium and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment