Thursday, November 4, 2010

A funundrum of a Thursday

Last night went better than I expected - I slept on the couch until 4:30 but it wasn't all so uncomfortable. I would have stayed on the couch but the tree outside the back window kept rubbing the window in the wind and kitty kitty kept running around chasing something through the windows. Rob was awake when I went upstairs and helped me get adjusted in bed.
I was up with Ellie this morning and Nick slept in. Pain was very present when I awoke - I got an email from Dr. Mendoza Temple giving me instructions for homeopathy for the next 2 weeks - so I started that up this morning. Ellie was easy this morning and opted for school lunch - we got her dressed in warm clothes and out to the bus. I woke Nick up when Ellie left and got him breakfast and dressed for school. Amazingly, we must be on an up swing and there wasn't an argument or hassle to get him to school. I took Nick to school and came home and put indoor Halloween away and did a bit of straightening up. Time flies when you are having fun and it was time to get Nick - we came home.
We had lunch together and I iced my shoulder and took some more tylenol - the only way I can describe the pain is it feels as if I was stabbed in the collarbone with a blunt pencil and then it was turned around and around. Christi called and offered to take Nick to the park with Susannah - I couldn't resist. I was sort of home bound for FedEx this afternoon - my laptop was to be delivered and needed a signature. Christi came and picked Nick up and off to the park they went. I sat on the couch with the hot pad on my back and an ice pack on my shoulder. FedEx came twice - once for the laptop and once for the window darkening film I bought for Nick's bedroom windows. Christi dropped Nick back home and offered to pick Ellie up for Running this afternoon and I again couldn't resist. We got Ellie off the bus in the drizzly rain and she had just enough time to switch shoes and get her water together before she was picked up.
I only got to open my laptop up and install my anti-virus - haven't really had a chance to play on it yet but the great part is that is has all its keys and a left mouse button. Nick and I went upstairs and cleaned his windows and then put up the film - he liked the blue color but didn't like that he could no longer see out his windows. Rob picked Ellie up for school and she came home and finished her homework. We had an early dinner because we had tickets to see Ringling Brothers Funundrum tonight. Jo and Tony were meeting up there and we were all so excited. We got to Allstate for the pre-show - Ellie got her program and went to work quickly getting autographs. All the kids got "The Greatest Show on Earth" hand tattoos. We went to find our seats and get some treats - cotton candy with hats for the boys. Watching the boys eat the cotton candy was priceless - they were a sticky, icky mess. The show began and the expressions on the kids face make all the crowds and the madness worth it. We tried to prop the boys up on coats but soon T was in my lap - he brought the first port accidental bump and severe impact pain of the evening. It is tough - how do you tell a 2 and 3 year old they can only lay back on one of your shoulders - it doesn't work. Tony and Jo made it through almost the first half - to be honest I don't know if it was our seats this year or the show but it didn't seem as entertaining as last year.
We sat in our seats for intermission and Ellie and Nick ate their popcorn and we watched the clowns and the people. The second act was a bit more exciting that the first but Nick sat in my lap for a better view and accidentally bumped me twice more - the second bump actually bought tears to my eyes. We have the exit drill down pat and we had our coats on ahead of time and were able to exit quickly and get out of the lot before the mass crowds. We did get to see Barack for the first time - the baby elephant born on the eve of Obama's inauguration - too cute. It was raining when we left and it had gotten cold and breezy - the car was cold when we got to it.
We had bets that the kids would fall asleep on the ride home - Ellie was out by the time we got to downtown Park Ridge - Nick fell asleep about a mile from the house. Rob carried Nick in and I got his bed ready and we were able to just put him in and cover him up - poor Ellie couldn't warm up - fuzzy pjs, flannel sheets and 2 blankets later.
I quickly found tylenol and a glass of wine - my hot pad and my ice pack - I am feeling a bit like an ailing older person. I once again think my oncologist kind of lied to me - maybe when he says the port is not a big deal he isn't talking to 34 years olds with young kids. I can't hold Nick and I can't really cuddle with the kids the way I want to cuddle with them - Ellie feels weird hugging me - so does Rob for that matter. At least this went right - it is painful but hopefully that will get better in couple days.
It was productive and long day - I am not really tired but I am quite sure when I put the blanket on and get comfy I will soon find myself sleeping. Probably a TMI (too much info) moment but I haven't been brave - or stupid - enough to try a bra - I know the strap will go right over the port and maybe once it no longer hurts when mildly touched I will try it again but for now it is tank tops and old lady boobs. Visualising my healthy body, a more painless day tomorrow and the new normal me - whomever that shall be, Tree

1 comment:

  1. We burned our bras in the 70's. It's quite a turn on for the fellas, you know! I have a theory that kids are drawn to our injuries like a magnet. Think about the Yago Sangria spot on my toe...it's the only area the kids step on...just a theory, of course. Let's hope the homeopathy helps you heal well and with less pain over the next few days! Glad you guys had fun at the Funundrum...I'm sure we'll get a play by play from the kids. Aren't you glad Rob put away the play vehicles? Can you imagine the "death defying" stunts your little clowns would try to pull off? Love you...we'll set up a Scarlett rendezvous in the morning. Mom

    ReplyDelete