Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sharing is caring Tuesday

Just named this entry because Rob just informed we share in this house when I asked if he had more wine than me tonight.

It has been suggested that I have been sinking into some bad habits (and the couch cushions) by spending so much of the night on the couch so I tried to go upstairs when I was dozing off last night around 12:30. I truly went up because I tried to kill a very gross, black, hairy, huge spider in the back room and it was too quick and fell behind the tv cabinet and I was sure it was going to crawl all over me when and if I fell asleep in the back room. I could not get comfortable in bed - for the first time in a week I tried to lay on my right side (my favored side up until a week ago) it was still too painful, I tried my left side and couldn't get my arm comfortable and same with my back - I twisted and turned forever. I couldn't even tell you when I finally drifter to sleep but it was nuts.

Ellie has been up early the past two days - well its her normal time but we have had a time change and she needs to adjust - Rob was still home this morning when she got up and went downstairs. Nick was up around 6:50 and I told him it wasn't time to be up but that didn't work and we got up a few minutes later. Ellie wanted to know how much time she had until she had to leave for school and I looked at the clock and told her over an hour. We had breakfast and watched some tv - I tried to control Nick's hair with some water but no such luck - the boy needs a haircut and it is picture day at school tomorrow - so hoping for bouncing and behaving hair but it might be his introduction to product.

Finally, which truly was never ending this morning, it was time for Ellie to walk down to the bus and for Nick to get ready for school. It is so much easier to manage the mornings now that Nick has come to like preschool - I am kind of dreading the next couple weeks though because the schedule is very messed up because they follow the school calendar. Ellie got off and I took Nick to school - once again he told me I could leave at the gate. I went over to Mom's - we didn't really have plans for the morning but it worked out. We played on the internet for a bit looking at some ebay auctions Mom was watching and we made our reservations for fall family trip. While we weren't able to find a house to share for the weekend - we were able to find an all suite hotel with full breakfast, manager's evening reception (drinks and appetizers) and milk and cookies at bedtime. Mom helped me to change Scarlett out - she was in nice shape today. Mom and I had tried to make it to CVS before it was time to pick up Nick but we ended up making it to Starbucks instead.

We were the first car there for pick up (a first) and we were able to visit for a couple minutes. While it is nice to not have the "coffee clutch" group at preschool - I do feel like a bit of an outsider - there are many returning parents that know each other and talk. Nick was happy to have us pick him up and was up for an adventure as long as he had a snack. Mom and I decided to hit the CVS in Northbrook and we could go to Whole Foods out hat way and get lunch, too. Whole Foods was sample central - Nick burned his tongue on the apple cider but there were plenty of fruit and cheese samples and his favorite cinnamon bread. We were all able to find something for lunch and we dined al fresco - Nick's choice.

We had the most humorous lunch - they were streaming 70s music and Nick was feeling the groove - he was in his own world. He started using his hands to block things out - the silver tower, at first but then the very pregnant lady. I had grabbed a fork instead of a spoon for Nick's yogurt and it wasn't all to successful so I eventually asked him to try drinking it - another too funny moment. We made it CVS and to there discounted Halloween section - Nick found a mummy that sang "who let the dogs out" and he constantly pressed the button and then found the Christmas display to press. We got to the check out and Nick started belting out "who let the dogs out - who, who, who?" - needless to say I was getting a stomach cramp from laughing so hard - the lady behind the counter was cracking up and the guy behind us in line was audibly laughing - the boy in nuts.

We went back to Mom's and Nick played on Dad's iPad for a bit - he really does well with this matching app and loves it - well until he found out he could place his entire hand down and un-cover multiple pieces at a time and then decided maybe he could lick the iPad - time to go home. We got Ellie from the bus and then got her off to the final Girls on the Run. Nick and I went to the park for a while and then decided to go home and take a walk around the block to collect leaves to make leaf stew. It is quite amazing - a simple walk up and down our block gathered almost 30 different leaves. We came back home and Nick and I made our stew or the porch and he told me all the ingredients he had added to the stew.

We came inside and had a dance marathon in the living room and then went upstairs to play with trains and read a couple books. Rob and Ellie came home and Ellie finished her homework and Nick and I continued our dancing - he truly is Rob's child. Ellie told me she thought she had a blister and then showed me this huge callus on her toe - we will have to get a special band-aid for the race and then I took her up for a bath to soak her feet. It lines up with a strap on her new gym shoes - I wish she had told me about it sooner but we will do the best we can. I gave Ellie her bath and then got Nick into the tub - I need his hair to be bouncing and behaving so we conditioned it.

We decided it was a take out night and Ellie has this new liking of ribs and we had a gift card so it was a Chili's night. We ordered and Nick insisted on going - in footie pjs with crocs over - much bigger problems in the world. We went and picked up food while Ellie and Rob cleaned off the table and got drinks ready. Ellie and Nick must have both been starving because Ellie nibbled at a half slab before Rob was finished and Nick woofed down an ear of corn before I was able to cut into my dinner. After dinner, Nick and Ellie played downstairs for a couple minutes before it was bed time. I watched the results of Dancing and I expected Kurt to go although I wanted Bristol to go. Its Tuesday so its Parenthood night - love the show.

I got a lovely email from my dear friend, Julie, last night. In a few paragraphs it made me laugh, cry, smile and frown - so wish we lived closer. The email has put things front and center again - I am in a frustrating place with this situation I am in. Mom and I have talked about this many times we don't believe cancer is a fight - it is a diagnosis on my medical history - is it really no different than diabetes or arthritis? I am frustrated because 95% of the information out on the internet about cancer or specific procedure is by people who feel they were wronged or are so negative - I just google to get info and perspective and instead find the people who have an infected port or a herniated ileostomy. I am strongly thinking about positive cancer advocating after this year is over - yes, this year has had its spans of very terrible times but I am young, I am positive and I am healthy - guess what I will live a long life after this year is over. At the close of this post I am adding a link I found yesterday about young adults and caner - very eye opening. Visualising my healthy and continual healing body and the new normal me - I think I am liking the person that I will be, Tree


Well, apparently, windows 7 won't let me paste http addresses into my blog - stinks! If you are interested in the article it is online in the wall street journal - www.online.wsj.article - looks like its under Business and then Health and the article is from 11/9 and is titles - Too Young for Cancer and Demanding Action - it is an interesting read and I do encourage you to find it and read it - sorry I can't post a link I will work on it. T

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the chuckles. Lots to laugh at and think about in your post tonight. I will say the end of your post brought a vision of Stuart Smally from SNL with his daily affirmations...I'm nice enough, I'm smart enough and let's face it, I'm just darned good looking...I am young, I am positive and I am healthy. Theresa Hazard, young cancer guru! I love it! Off the subject, I'm watching Bon Jovi on David Letterman as I type...his hair has gotten so much better. Wonder what conditioner he's using? Now we've moved on to Craig Fergeson. Wish you would watch it. He's opening with his puppets tonight...it cracks me up every time...it would be good laughter for you. OK, I'm rambling...time for me to say good night. We'll talk in the morning. I,m visualizing bouncing and behaving hair and a trouble free toe for the morning. Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete