Thursday, August 5, 2010

Wonderful scan results

I'm just going to skip to today - same ole stuff last night. This morning I was nervous, anxious and all emotions in between. I dropped Ellie and Nick at Mom's and was on my way to Kellogg for my Dr. Marsh appointment. I checked in and was told I didn't need blood work today and that was a most excellent thing because my veins were abused enough yesterday and are quite sore today. Dr. Marsh is usually very punctual and I was upstairs in the waiting area forever. Margaret actually came out of the office twice and looked my way but continued down the hall the other way - I was questioning my scan results. Finally, 30 minutes after my scheduled appointment, Margaret came and got me. I got on the scale and I was 132 - 3 pounds up but 8 pounds down.
We went to the exam room and Margaret was all business - I was nervous thinking she knew something. We went over what medications I am taking, what symptoms still exist, how I am sleeping and eating and then she checked my hands and feet. Margaret, after looking at my fingertips, said this would be the perfect time for my crime life to begin. Dr. Marsh came in and we went over all of what Margaret and I just talked about and then he shared his reading on my scan. The tumor has not grown or metastasized anywhere else. The tumors margins have shrunk and the questionable lymph node also seems to have shrunk. The scan shows that the tumor possibly still penetrates the wall but this could be inflammation or edema and not the actual tumor - this could be pinpointed with another endoscopic ultrasound but that would be for Dr. Muldoon to decide. Dr. Marsh checked me out and looked me over and told me I did beautifully. After surgery there will be pathology to determine if 1) microscopic or no cancer cells existed in the tumor 2) streams or spots of cancer cells existed in the tumor or 3) if the tumor had wide spread cancer cells. Dr. Marsh said it is rare to see #3 and #1 or #2 are far more common - depending on which one it is the chemotherapy regiment will be determined.
I left feeling great and got to the car and U2s Beautiful Day was on the radio - a sign for sure. I called Rob and went back to Mom's and shared my news. We decided to get out of the house and Ellie has been wanting to go the Bath & Body Works to get one of those mini anti bacterial gels and the little hanging thing - so that's where we went. I go into scent overload in that store and really don't like any of those fruity smelling stuff. We got what we needed and picked up lunch - yummy spinach pie! We ate lunch and then the movie du jour was Racing Stripes.
We left after the movie and the kids and I headed to Kohl's to spend our bonus cash - lucked out on some 90% off clothing and some Toy Story 3 clearance toys - I spent $40.00 and saved $199.64 - I love when the receipt shows you how much you've saved. We drove home and the kids set up their TS3 sets while I made breakfast for dinner - someone was craving banana chocolate chip pancakes. Rob got home just as I was starting to put the kids to sleep so he took over with Ellie and I finished up with Nick.
Rob brought home a bottle of wine and we are currently toasting our great news. Visualising my healthy body, Tree
A friend shared a link to an article about the after effects of cancer - the things no one shares and rarely discuss - if anyone is interested in reading it here is the link to the article: http://www.cancercounselling.org.uk/northsouth/extra4.nsf/WebResClient/1761049276601BD68025735B00604834/$FILE/article3.pdf?openElement

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your great news, Theresa--you made my day!
    Jill Brickman

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're greatly relieved that things are status quo. Now let's keep your body working for you! Healthy body...growth free! Love you, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article! You know we ARE ALWAYS here for you...be it as respite, as listeners, as nourishers...whatever, whenever...we love you! M & D

    ReplyDelete