Friday, August 20, 2010

Freakin hot Friday

For a change I was exhausted last night and went up after David Letterman. We were all up at the same time this morning and had breakfast - I think we will never buy cocoa pebbles again - they get everywhere. I did some laundry and packed up our basket for Michigan. Ellie took a shower and we got dressed. Jo and Tony met us at our house and we decided to head up to River Trails for the morning. Driving into the nature center we saw a baby doe - very cute - then we noticed that the nature center is closed on Fridays - bummer. We walked around outside and saw the animals but we were seriously being eaten alive by the mosquitoes - at one point Tony had blood oozing from his forehead.
We didn't know what to do with the kids - we knew it was gross outside but would get worse as the day went on. We hit Whole Foods again and sample heaven - we each picked out a treat and sat in the cafe and ate. We headed to a park I thought was pretty shady but turned out to not be so shady and it was just too hot to stay there. Jo needed groceries so we went to Target and did some shopping.
We stopped at a garage sale on our way back home and got some treasures - Ellie got a bunco game set (she learned how to play at clubhouse this summer) and a couple naked barbie dolls and Nick got a vintage little people fire truck and people and the ginormous grabbers he wanted from the children's museum gift shop. Jo and Tony loaded up and departed - T needed a nap and it is just too hot to do anything else. The kids are playing with their new treasures - quite interesting to listen to their imaginative play.
I just had a lovely conversation with Jennifer, my osotomy nurse. I told her how very uncomfortable I am with the entire concept of the ileostomy bag. I babbled on for quite a few minutes and she listened and empathized with me. She really put my mind more at ease - assuring me I would be able to handle this entirely myself and it would get more and more easy as I became more healed and comfortable with it. Jennifer assured me I have the best people in my corner and also assured me that the 8" incision I had read about after "googling" ileostomy was not what was going to happen to me. She said Dr. Muldoon's primary issue is my tumor removal but he also prides himself on his cosmetic ability - good to know the likelihood of having a tic tac toe board on my stomach is minimal. I will meet with her the week before surgery - she said she would even have an extra box of kleenex available for me.
I also have scheduled an appointment with Dr. Marsh for next week to discuss my anxiety and the need for a mood altering drug - Jennifer said this was a great idea. The ativan really isn't working anymore - previously what it did for me was take all the images that flash on your eyelids and through your mind when you close your eyes away - however, lately, it hasn't been working like that for me.
We are headed to Michigan when Rob gets home from work - looks like it will be stinkin hot weekend - stay hydrated and have fun. Visualising my healthy body, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Cocoa Pebbles DO get everywhere! That's why you gotta switch to Cocoa Puffs. They're good and good for you- at least, that's what the ads say and we all know advertisers never, ever lie.

    -Phil

    ReplyDelete