Thursday, August 19, 2010

Our ADHD Thursday

Even though Nick fell to sleep quite late he was up quite early. We had no plans other than to have fun today - so we just sort of winged it - we had an ADHD day - too many things squeezed into a day. We had breakfast and got dressed and got in the car. We returned our overdue library books and stopped at the bakery for a treat to take to the park with us. We hit another of the kids favorite parks from last summer but it was so hot that both Nick and Ellie were burning themselves on the equipment - we decided to forgo the park plan and try something else. We were in Glenview and against my better judgement we pulled into Kohl's children's museum - we stayed for no more than 20 minutes before the sheer noise and rudeness made us leave.
We were trying to decide what to have for lunch when we drove up to Whole Foods and decided we could find something for everyone there. Real honestly, we could have probably eaten a light lunch by just walking the samples in the store but Ellie picked pizza and Nick picked a ham and cheese pack and they both picked out a yogurt (a Joey one Nick called them - there was a kangaroo on the container that looked like Joey from a book we've read). We had positively the best lunch ever - no spills, no scenes - we just ate and talked and we were genuinely happy to be together. We were all pretty full so we decided to skip our plans for dessert at Whole Foods and see what we could do instead.
We drove back through the Glen and parked and decided to try Make-A-Messterpiece (if you haven't been there it is probably worth it one time but get ready to pay, pay, pay). The kids had a great time doing artwork and wanted to do one of the extras and decided on the drum roll room (think Blue Man Group - a bunch of drums with watered down paint that you get to go nuts to with music and lights as your background). The kids had to "suit" up - rain pants, rain jacket, boots, shower cap and goggles - it was quite a sight. While we waited for the messterpieces to dry they played in the small play area and had fun. We took a walk around after we left and ended up getting the best gelato I have had (in the US) at Via Gelato. They had the most amazing basil mint gelato - seriously refreshing on a hot day.
We got home only minutes before Rob. Rob came in saying he was so hot he wanted to do the ghetto slip and slide again and Ellie was all about that. They had fun out in the yard and Nick had a mini meltdown - about the same time he has been taking his afternoon naps - must be growing. We all came inside - it was too hot out and the kids played downstairs and brought me up a play-doh cake inscribed with FFF - favorite family forever. We ate dinner and then I gave Nick a bath got him ready for bed while Ellie and Rob watched Wipeout. I was able to finish my book tonight - looking for suggestions for shallow reading - I can't take anything deep right now.
I called Margaret this morning and left a message - I am trying to be pro-active in the anti-depressant department. My message must have worried her because her message back said I should come by anytime today and Dr. Marsh would see me. We touched base this evening and I will schedule sometime with him next week and she suggested I meet with the social worker. My big problem is I feel like I have lost control - with chemo and radiation I at least had some say - even if it was just when I would schedule my appointments. I would love to blame hormones but seeing as how I haven't had a period since June I don't think that is it. Visualising my healthy body, Tree

1 comment:

  1. ADHD is probably a good way to describe the day you three had....but it sounds full and fun! Miss you guys already. Glad you called Margaret...we are such control freaks us first borns...you will find something about this next phase that you will control. Don't know what it is yet, but I know we'll seize the opportunity to take over when it arises! Love to you all from our GR room! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete