Sunday, August 15, 2010

A Bat some blueberries and a book

Friday morning Jo, Tony, Ellie, Nick and I went to a couple garage sales before we met up with Mom and Dad for lunch at Red Robins. We had a nice lunch together and then we came home and packed up for Michigan. On the drive up to Michigan we got to watch a couple planes practicing for the air and water show and Nick fell asleep and napped until we got to the Indiana/Michigan border. We got off in New Buffalo to get gas and detoured to get ice cream at Oink's. We took the scenic route to the cottage and it was a nice change of scenery.
We got to the cottage and just kicked back and relaxed. The kids caught Nana up on their happenings and we found a new movie on Disney to watch.
Rob came down from his shower with a tennis racket in his hand and a look on his face - both equal only one thing - there was a bat in the house. I asked where and was told up in our bedroom above Nick's bed - great. After Rob gloved up and I heard a bit of movement upstairs - Rob called and asked me to open the door to "dispose" of the bat. I have trouble sleeping to begin with and now I had the task of trying to sleep with the knowledge that a bat was only feet away from where I sleep. I decided a glass of wine might take the edge off but no such luck even with a second glass and my nightly ativan I was still staring at the clock hours after I went to bed. At around 2:30AM I tapped Rob and asked if he was sleeping because I still hadn't been able to fall asleep - he tried to rub my back but his hand soon was heavy on my back and he had fallen back to sleep. I finally fell asleep sometime around 4:00AM but nick woke up at 5:00AM - it was a miserable night.
Saturday morning we woke up to hot sticky rain. We decided to do some shopping and see if the weather changed - it was National Blueberry Festival and we had a parade we wanted to see. While eating lunch the rain slowed and eventually stopped - we found a spot to park and headed to find a seat. It was way cloudy when we sat down but the sun was starting to break through by the end of the parade. It was a nice mix of entries this year - more than the usual Miss Blossom, Miss Blueberry, Miss Peach and so on. The kids each had a bag full of candy by the end of the parade. Ellie and I walked through the sidewalk sales in town and were disappointed by the lack of sales. Rob, Nana and Nick went down to the marina and watched the boats going in and out. Ellie and I stopped in and got ice cream on the way to meet the gang but by the time we got to the marina the heat had melted most all the ice cream down. We stayed and watched the Ronald McDonald magic show for a while before deciding it was time to head back home. My feet were killing me - we had walked so much and I lack any calluses - I have brand new skin forming and it was very sore.
Rob and the kids were beach bound - I knew I had to put my feet up and relax a bit. I was able to read my book for a while and take a 20 minute recharge nap before starting dinner prep with Rob's Mom. Rob and the kids came back super excited - not only did the sun come out but they were able to fly their kite and swim. I gave the kids a bath and Rob got the grill ready - dinner came together nicely. We just kicked back and relaxed - the kids watched a movie. I slept much better last night - I was tired enough from the night before that it wasn't too hard to fall asleep. The only problem is we have giant oak trees outside and they are starting to lose their acorns and every time a acorn would hit the roof I would wake up and wonder if it was an acorn or another bat.
This morning we woke up and it really looked like it was going to rain again but the kids really wanted to hit the beach again . By the time we got their suits on and started sunscreen the rain had begun but by the time I came down from my shower the sun was out. Rob and Nana took the kids to the beach while I headed into town to pick up some blueberries to take home and to stop at Menard's for Rob. I got home a bit before Rob and the gang and got a bit more reading in. I gave the kids their bath and we had lunch together before they ran off to play. Rob did a couple things around the house and we got our stuff packed up and headed home. We had the best traffic ride we have had all season and I think we can totally give credit to the air and water show on the lake and we opted for the empty Kennedy route - just slightly over 2 hours.
We went to Mom and Dad's for dinner. Dad grilled while Mom and I worked in the kitchen. We had a great dinner out in the year except for the bugs. Mom and Dad loaded Ellie up with lunch goodies for her school lunches and a couple of back to school outfits, too. We finished dessert and headed home where both Ellie and Nick fell quickly to sleep. Rob and I are watching the finale of Next Food Network star and are enjoying the silence. I am looking forward to our bed tonight and a decent night of sleep. My feet are still sore and I am just tired. Looking forward to a fun week - not sure what we are doing yet but it is Ellie's last week off before school starts. Visualising my healthy body, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment