Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to school

It was Ellie's first day of school today - Nick woke up at 6:00AM and Ellie was up at 6:40AM - WHY? It was nice - Rob didn't have to be at work until a bit later this morning and was able to visit with the kids before he left. Ellie picked out a dress for her first day - a cute tie-dye. Nick and I walked her to the corner and waited for the bus to pick her up - it was slow this morning. The bus driver is new and was very exuberant and welcomed them with happy first day of school when the kids got on the bus.
I woke up with killer cramps again - my ovaries and not happy and boy, oh boy are they letting me know it. Nick and I sat on the couch and he watched some tv so I could curl into a ball with my hot pad and advil - again! We eventually headed off to Mom's to play with Tony and Mom. Nick asked if we could picnic today and Mom and I agreed that would be an excellent first day of school plan. Mom and I made sandwiches and cut up some veggies and we got the boys loaded in the car and were off to our house to pick up Ellie and get the sides for our picnic.
Tony walked down to the corner with me to wait for the bus - it was super late today - 25 minutes after school got out - I worried for a second we missed it. Ellie was delighted with our plan and went right into the fact she had homework the first day of school. We went to the park down the street and had our picnic and the kids played in the playground for a while - it was an absolutely beautiful day. We went back to Mom's and started Ellie's homework - a collage of what makes Ellie, Ellie! We cut pictures and sayings from magazines and Mom printed out some pictures for us. The boys played with play-doh and the play kitchen. We cleaned up and went in for some quiet time and so Tony could nap.
We came home when Jo got to Mom's to pick Tony up. The kids helped me do some cleaning and organizing before heading outside to play. It was great - the neighbor kids on both sides of us were out and everyone - boys and girls were playing so wonderfully together. Rob and I got to get to know our newer neighbor a bit better while the kids played. I picked up dinner while Rob did bath duty - black water for sure this evening - the kids were filthy.
So, I have now checked all my secret hiding spots and storage spots looking for the paperwork I had done back in March for school - Nick's physical form and Ellie's asthma and allergy paperwork. I know I took it out of my purse for our spring break trip - in March and put it on the rack by the front door. I have no idea where those papers are now and think I might need to ask the doctor to redo them. I am tired - it was a long day. I get to see Dr. Marsh tomorrow and I left a message for Sally (the social worker) asking if I could stop by and see her too. Visualising my healthy body, Tree
In the front section of the Chicago Trib today there was an article on the rise of rectal cancer in people under 40 - there are actual scientists and doctors trying to find some sort of a reason or link to the rise in this particular age bracket. While colon cancer rates have stayed the same - rectal cancer is on the rise - scary! All I have to say to my "under 50" friends and family is - if you have a problem go see your doctor and don't let them procrastinate on possible diagnoses for months (not what happened in my case - thankfully, my doctor recommended a colonoscopy on my initial visit - but this waiting game is common place for younger people and this cancer). I again say - I have no risk factors for this cancer - no family history, I am a non-smoker, non-drinker and I have not eaten red meat in over 25 years.

1 comment:

  1. This blog helps you to keep control...you are wonderful! It was a fun day today...great day to picnic! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete