Monday, July 5, 2010

A great but ohh so long day

We had dinner at Mom and Dad's last night before coming home to get ready for fireworks. We got on our bug spray, grabbed a refill on our water bottle and were out the door. We decided since I basically can't carry anything that this year we would just bring a blanket and leave our chairs at home - good plan. We parked a little further than normal but we've learned over the years which way to park to get home quicker at the end. I realized as we were walking to Niles West that I had walked more yesterday than I had in probably the last 7 weeks combined - way too much. We got to our normal spot and then the kids and I were off to get our 3D glasses. On our walk we met up with my old co-worker, Larry and his wife Dana - we got to catch up for a while before we got our glasses.
The blanket was a great plan because we told Nick he could only be in on the blanket and we didn't have to chase him down the street this year. Skokie started their fireworks late and Nick didn't make it through the first 10 fireworks before he put his head on my leg and fell fast asleep and slept through the entire show, the transfer to his stroller, the transfer in and then out of his carseat and the transfer into his bed - poor little boy was wiped out. The fireworks were awesome - they had smiley faces and hearts and big booms and crackles - I love fireworks. On the walk back to the car I told Rob I wanted to just cut off my feet - it might be less painful than the neuropathy and the big blisters I was sure were forming. Bless Ellie's little heart - when we got home she got me out a bag of frozen veggies to place on my feet and turned my hot pad on and filled my water glass.
Rob and I stayed up for a bit after we got home and just tried to get the energy to go upstairs. Rob and Nick were first up but then Nick really wanted me to be up - Ellie slept in. We got ready for our Church parade and got on the road. This year we went low key - Ellie made a couple signs for her bike and Nick designed a plastic hat and drove his firetruck. The kids and Rob made the loop - I sat this year out but did meet them at the end of the route for some photo ops. No big prizes for the parade this year but the kids had fun and got to choose a prize after the other awards were given out - Toy Story gliders for Nick and Silly Band rings for Ellie. We decided to come home between the parade and the picnic to rest. Rob entertained the kids and I took a nap. I woke up around 1:30 and we got our sunscreen on and refilled our water and were on our way - we picked up a picnic lunch on route.
It was a beautiful day in the shade - we enjoyed our lunch before the kids abandoned us for the park. Races and games began and Rob and Nick did the egg toss and water balloon toss - no winners there, however, Ellie took 1st place in her groups running race. Ellie ran back to me with the biggest smile ever and her 1st place ribbon and was gleaming that she beat the boys. Since I was moving very little from my chair today I got to enjoy some nice visits with some old and new friends. We moved over to park lake for the softball game and Rob made the wise decision not to play. Other that the quick run by Ellie and Nick were playing with friends the entire time. Nick ended up soaking wet and covered head to toe in sand and Ellie joined him in the dirt department. They ended the day with a little fishing in the lake and I told Rob I really needed to put my feet up.
During the course of the day when I did get up from my chair I did notice my butt was not real happy - the product of sitting in a camp chair for the last two days. I told Rob - I haven't been this uncomfortable since the first week of treatment - just throbbing lower back and butt pain. My feet are still miserable and I wish I could just freeze them - or cut them off. I buttered them up with a thick layer of shea butter lotion and put on my fuzzy socks - I didn't see any blisters but it feels like they are there. My hands are still a bit painful but nothing compared to my feet.
I have my feet up and I am relaxing with my hot pad - this weekend has been wonderfully entertaining and joyful but I am so tired from all the activity. Tomorrow is it - last radiation treatment and last dose of xeloda - woo freakin doo - so ready to be finished. Visualizing my healthy body, Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment