Saturday, July 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dad

Amazingly, everyone slept very well last night. I slept on the couch so that if either of the kids woke up I was down here, Rob was up in bed and the kids were in the living room. I was up first and Nick joined me around 7:30. He amazed himself, saying her couldn't believe he slept all night in the new bed. Ellie was up about 10 minutes later and Rob came down around 7:45AM. We had breakfast and tried to decide the plan of attack for the day.
Nick's room looked pretty good in daylight and didn't really need any touching up. I took the kids and we went to pick out hardware for Nick's dresser. We went to Tuesday Morning and I found really nice hand painted drawer pulls. I was also able to pick up a new mattress pad for Nick and a ironing board cover because I burned the old one. We picked up some food on the way back home.
It was so hot and humid today. We came home and stopped for a nourishment beak. Ellie and I tried to put Nick's bed together but realized that we were lacking some hardware. Nick and I ran to Ace Hardware to pick up replacements. Rob helped me put Nick's bed together and move it into place. We cleaned up Nick's room and started to move all the stuff out of Ellie's.
Luckily, Ellie has the deck off her room and we were able to place a lot of her room stuff into boxes and move it out onto the deck. We still had to work around her bed and dresser but not too bad. We were able to get about half of Ellie's room painted before we knew we would run out of paint - the heat was just sucking the paint up . Rob ran back to Lowe's to pick up another gallon and I continued painting.
Mom and Dad came over and Dad helped Rob move the new dressers up to the kids rooms. We have a very awkward staircase up to the second floor. While it looks spacious - it isn't. The angles are so harsh that we had to move our full size box spring in by hoisting it onto Ellie's deck. It took a lot of moving and re-moving the 2 dressers to get them up. We had to take the handrails off, cut off some wood and remove the glides from the dressers. While it is wonderful having real wood, quality made dressers for the kids - they weigh a ton. They moved the old dressers downstairs. Thanks Dad for helping us on your special day.
Mom and Dad left and we continued to work. Ellie helped me move the items from the deck back inside and get the room set up to switch sides and paint the rest. I got the kids into the shower because we had at least 2 incidents of feet in paint trays today. We came down and had some snacks and Ellie and I read another 50 pages in her book.
Rob went back to work in Ellie's bedroom and I got the kids to sleep. I joined Rob when I was done and we think the room looks okay but we were working in shadows and had to stop. Pretty much we might have to do some touch up on the walls and ceiling tomorrow and a second coat on the trim but it looks good. Ellie's dresser will need some major work because the paint got screwed up moving it upstairs. We still have Ellie's bed to paint and her bookshelf. Then we will need to put both of their rooms back to order.
The kids might just be sleeping in the living room for another couple nights. I am very happy with the way my incision looks. My feet are killing me. I think we will all sleep well again tonight. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal. Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment