Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happy Grandparent's Day

Rob and the kids had the day off on Thursday and we decided on a road adventure. We headed out for some thrifting and shopping but we weren't all too successful. We did have a lovely lunch together.
Friday morning Rob was up super early. Niles North was picked for a local news station to film a fly over in the morning. Here is a link if you want to check it out...http://abc7.ws/1dYTeE9 , I got the kids on the bus and went up to Highland Park for rummage-bonanza, 4 churches were holding sales. I don't know if people are keeping things longer or passing them along to friends, but the sales were lackluster. I walked out of one with nothing and only got about 10 things total. I did end up with costumes for Rob and me, and possibly Nick. Rob worked late, too. I dropped the kids at Mom and Dad's for a sleepover. They were having an outdoor movie night, Dad had set a projector up in the yard. Rob and I decided to pick up Chipotle and stay in. We took a long walk after dinner.
Saturday morning I tried to get back in the swing of Salvation but didn't have too much luck. I picked the kids up - they had an awesome time. We came home and got ready for the afternoon. We were heading to North for the football game. It was hot on Saturday and we decided we would only stay until halftime. By the time that arrived, the lightening sensors were going off and it was time to head home. Rob had to stay to finish taping the game and live streaming it onto the website. Rob and I thought we had dinner plans with friends but it turned out we had the day wrong and we messed up. This entailed a bunch of running around until we found out our error. Mom and Dad picked up the kids for the night, I brought Rob clothes at work to change, we hurried to the restaurant - only to realize we were the only ones there and there was no reservation. A quick email check, and we would discover the 8th is Sunday - not Saturday. I called Mom and let her know they could drop the kids back at home on their way home from grocery shopping. I put together a quick dinner and we all ate together.
Today we began the morning at church. We came home and Rob mowed the lawn. Nick and I worked on organizing his toy bins. I am very impressed, we had 2 garbage bags filled with donations, and 1 with garbage. All his bins in the back room are organized and we have a ton of space under the tv now. His room is super clean, and I went through all his clothing while he made some toy decisions. Ellie was busy working on her newest craft obsession - duct tape art. We have wallets, bookmarks, pen toppers - you name it. We headed over to Mom and Dad's for Family Sunday. We were celebrating Grandma GG's, Jo's, and Rob's birthdays, and Grandparent's Day. Mom had veggie burgers and hot dogs, brats, asparagus, pasta, pierogi, corn pudding, and salad. Cannoli cake and cupcakes for dessert. It was a lovely afternoon to spend outside. When we came home we took a family walk before showers and bed.
Well, today marks 3 years of being free of cancer. It is bizarre to think that it was 3 years ago that I had that major surgery that really changed my life. At times it seems like just yesterday and other times it seems like a lifetime ago. I have mentored 6 ladies through Imerman. I have participated in every research study that I have come across that deals with cancer. I have become friends with so many lovely people because of the common bond of cancer. I have lost a few friends, too. I am hopeful that my experience and the knowledge I gained from it continue to help people in their own journey. Visualizing my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Three years! Seems impossible...CONGRATULATIONS! You are so right...times it seems like so long ago, especially when you think about how young the kids were. There are those times when a memory will make it seem like yesterday. We are so proud of the way you put this crazy disease to use. Imerman, the research projects, reaching out to those who don't even know how much they need you yet. You are a Super Woman and we're so happy you are here with us! It's so good things continue to move along in a positive way.
    It was a whirlwind weekend, but truly wonderful. Today was the frosting on the cake. It was a beautiful day together out in the yard...good food, good company, lots of great laughs, perfect weather...I couldn't think of a nicer way to spend Grandparents Day! Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete