Wednesday, November 2, 2011

36 years

Halloween was lovely. Nick helped me ship off my last round of ebay auctions. I would get the postage label on the package and Nick would put it in the box. We went to Mom's house for lunch and just hung out there during the afternoon. We had a great day - a bit on the cool side but no rain or snow. Dean came over and we took the kids out trick or treating. Nick was a chicken and Ellie was Supergirl. I put on Grandma Chocolate's Pan Am hat and we dug a pilot hat out of the costume box for Dean.
We did maybe 4 blocks of trick or treating before Nick began falling on the ground exclaiming hie was out of gas and wanted to go home. The kids both had a bag full of candy and treats. Local trick or treat hours were insane this year - 3PM - 8PM. Rob agreed to stay home and wait out trick or treating while I took the kids to trick or treat in Mom's neighborhood. We always hit the neighbors and show off costumes. We had dinner and came home.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day for November 1st. Ellie had the day off school but Nick had school. We dropped him off at school and stopped by Target. We picked up a steamed milk and coffee at Starbucks and cruised through the store. I thought Halloween would have been more discounted but it was only 30% - so we skipped it. We came home and studied for Ellie's test on the solar system.
We picked Nick up from school and headed to pick Mom and Dad up. We were heading down to Navy Pier to visit the children's museum. The pier was amazingly empty. It was wonderful - no waiting for exhibits. We did all the exhibits and then the kids were the first to try out the new art for November. It was making something from a box. Ellie made a shoebox into a treasure box and Nick made a box into a car garage with a tire holder on the top. We stopped and picked up Garrett's popcorn and had a snack.
We took pictures in all the cut outs that were still up from Halloween and walked out on the pier for a bit. We came home and the kids finished watching Kiki's Delivery Service. We stopped off at Ayutla Panaderia to pick up some pan de muertos for day of the dead. We came home and the kids went outside to enjoy the afternoon.
I took down our outdoor Halloween decorations. Looks naked out there now. The squirrels have started to really eat our pumpkins. I said goodnight to the kids and Rob and I went back downtown. It was the Chicago chapter of Stupid Cancer happy hour. I met a delightful couple from Milwaukee. I got to meet Jonny Imerman and talk with him for a bit. We closed the happy hour down - not too hard when you aren't drinking. I think I need to find something non alcoholic to drink. I don't like pop and water gets boring - maybe juice.
I came home and was sort of charged up and could not wind down enough to sleep. I played games and watched tv. Today I am officially 36 years old - feels no different than 35.
I dropped Nick off at school and came home. I spent about 35 minutes on the phone with ebay because my auctions are having a check out problem. I picked Nick up and we went over to Mom and Dad's for lunch. Food has never really been more than a thing you need to eat to survive. When asked what I want to eat - well, it is not really a big thing. We had Chinese for lunch and then we went to Whole Foods to pick up Birthday dessert. Jo invited us over to her house tonight to celebrate. I am not a cake person, we picked up gelato and cookies.
Mom and Dad dropped us back at home. The kids played for a bit and I got laundry flipped. We put away all out indoor Halloween decorations - house looks naked. We went over to Jo's for dinner - ordered El Famous. We had a nice dinner and the kids got to play with Tony. I tried persuading Pooka to come out and play so we could share a Birthday but Jo is pretty content with 11/11.
We came home and got the kids to sleep and watched some tv. Not really sure why but I have noticed a slight balance issue in the last few days. It is all foot related and just looks like I am clumsy. I am still having shoulder pain but not nearly as bad as it was. Thankfully my chest pain has gone away. Hard to believe a year ago tomorrow, I was having my port surgically placed. Many friends have said what a difference a year makes and I couldn't agree more. I go for my 3 month work up in 2 weeks - CT, blood work and exam/visit. Thank you for the birthday wishes and sentiments - I fell very loved. Visualising my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. You should feel very loved...you are! Happiest of birthdays to you. Oh, how happy I am that I have you back...stupid cancer. You are an amazing woman and I love you dearly...happy birthday! Mom

    ReplyDelete