Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Speeding By

Why is December always on fast forward? Monday morning I got the kids off to school and came back to drink my CT scan prep. Honestly, it isn't as bad as some people have it. My prep is an ounce of liquid that I mix with 20 ounces of clear liquid. I tried it with plain ole water but it sort of tastes like nail polish remover would taste, so now I mix it with a couple ounces of juice and dilute with water.
I got to the hospital and checked in and waited until they came to get me. I was taken back to the room where my initial scan was done. The tech looked at my arms and asked if I had a preference. I said no. She started in my right hand, although she was eventually able to get a blood return, she couldn't get the saline to advance. She tried again, again no success. She called in a PA from interventional radiology. He told me how tiny my veins are and tried up near my elbow. No success. He tried my hand again. He kept trying to fish the needle into my vein...no success. There is a 2 try maximum, so we were onto tech 3. He tried my left arm and was finally able to find a usable vein in my hand. I had the scan and went to Kellogg for my blood work. Luckily, they are accustomed to very small veins and were able to get me mid-arm left side.
I had a mini breakdown at Mom's house because this sucks. I have traveled my journey, people never talk about all these small things that will travel the rest of your life with you...small veins, radiation damage, tingles in my feet. I took Tony to school and then came home to veg out. I picked up our Christmas cards at Costco and was able to address most of them. I took Ellie to the library when she finished her homework.
Tuesday morning, I got the kids off to school and headed back to the hospital for my Dr. Marsh visit. I got the all clean and clear, no evidence of disease...huge sigh of relief. I will see him again in 6 months and then will likely be spread out to a year. I volunteered at school for a little bit before lunch. I finished up my cards and got them to the post office and got my packages that were ready to ship dropped off too. Rob brought home Oberweis brandy ice cream for up to toast with. We went out for dinner at Red Robin to celebrate. It was so nice spending time together and being silly and happy.
Today the kids got off to school and I went over to Mom's to play with the boys and then take Tony to school. Matteo has been playing coy with my all week. I walked in on Monday and he started to cry and quickly made his way to Dad. I walked in on Tuesday and he did the same. This morning I tried to bribe him immediately with chocolate chip cookies. We were friends again before I took Tony to school. I got some packages off to the post office and caught up on some tv. It was Ellie's final Battle of the Books tonight. Unfortunately, he school didn't win the battle but I was proud of Ellie for being int he program the last 2 years and being captain of her team this year. We went out for dinner afterwards to celebrate. Rob came to the meet but had a holiday party to attend after.
It has been a very busy week but a very great week. Visualizing my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. This good news of yours has really put me in a better holiday mood...now we have just a few more things that need a positive spin! Thanks for taking Tony today. Matteo was out within minutes of you closing the door and I know it would add a bit of crabbiness if I had to take him in and out of his car seat multiple times...so, I do appreciate it! Let me know how you want to work around Tableux. We'll compare notes! Love you sweetie and I'm so glad your new normal continues to be Clean & Clear! Mom

    ReplyDelete