Tuesday, June 12, 2012

All Clean and Clear

Had to stray from my Sunday/Wednesday posts to share - just in case anyone is listening!
Most important news first. I don't know if I shared this or not last week because I was anxiety ridden and sleep deprived but the hospital website has a patient care section that automatically releases test/scan results after a given time. Last Friday, my blood work was released to me. It showed the same low white blood count, a low protein count and the values correlated with platelet and red blood cell space. My CEA (the marker they use to track my cancer cells) was the highest it ever was in May and fell by a point this time - all in the normal range but still higher than ever. My chest CT was released to me last night with no evidence of disease but there was a note stating my abdominal and pelvic scans were read separately and I didn't get access to those results.
I dropped Nick at the pool for camp and Ellie at Mom and Dad's house and made my way to Kellogg. I checked-in and was practicing some breathing techniques so my blood pressure wasn't sounding alarms when it was taken. Margaret came to get me and asked how I was and I told her. She apologized and said all scans were great. I lost 3 pounds since my last visit - stress! Tammy went through my blood work and suggested I might want to eat a steak...no, not really something I would consider.
Tammy did her exam and then Dr. Marsh came in - again apologizing for the lack of information that flowed my way last week. I am still on 6 month recall for another year. I got my ativan refilled because after last week I depleted my emergency supply trying to sleep. I got to meet a friend I have known only online at Kellogg. I think I have mentioned that I am a member in a few cancer related groups online and my one friend actually ended up seeing my oncologist. He had an appointment a bit later than I did today and we finally got to physically meet and talk. Dr. marsh agreed that my low blood levels are probably fairly normal for someone who follows a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. He said I could try to supplement with a B complex, A and K - probably go back onto D again.
I don't think I can put to word the tension relief I felt after my appointment. I am a positive person but not having answers freaks me out.
The kids are loving camp. Nick is pretty exhausted when he comes home - far more activity than preschool. I went to PT tonight and Whitney worked me sore. She totally changed all my exercises today and by the end of the 30 minutes I felt like I had gummy worms for legs. She said we were going to really focus on my hip now and I am feeling the focus. Rob took the kids to the pool after science camp and they came home a bit before 6. Ellie came running in with the news that the lifeguard thought Nick looked like he was drowning and blew her whistle and jumped in to save him. I guess a group on teens were playing in the same area and he was trying to get under the line to get to the ladder to climb out and she thought he looked like he was in trouble. Rob had to fill out paperwork and poor Nick was freezing when they came in.
Thanks for the continued love and support. Visualizing my healthy and continually healing body and the new normal, Tree

1 comment:

  1. Oh...The Family Circus...So glad that things are starting to fall back in place! Now you really do need to catch your breath and rest! I knew in my heart that things were alright, but you make me nervous right along with you. I think we need to discuss Aronia berries again...just sayin'...So glad we can roll along again. Ah, what to do with Nick? Love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete